ANKARA/DAMASCUS– The number of Palestinians killed in the earthquake that hit southern Turkey and northern Syria early Monday has risen to 65 after rescue workers found the bodies of two women, one of them pregnant, under the rubble in Turkey.
Palestine Ambassador to Turkey, Fayed Mustafa, said rescue workers were able to pull a man alive from under the rubble in the Turkish city of Antakya while his wife, in her ninth month of pregnancy, has perished.
He said he expects the number of victims to increase as the search continues for those buried under the rubble.
In Syria, Palestine Ambassador Samir Rifai said six members of one family are still under the rubble in the town of Jabla as rescue workers continue to search for survivors.
He said the search continued this morning at al-Raml Palestine refugee camp in northern Syria where one woman was found alive while four other members of her family remain under the rubble. Her husband was found dead.
Twenty Palestinians have been found dead so far in Turkey and 45 in Syria as the number of people killed in the earthquake in both Turkey and Syria has exceeded the 11,000 mark, the majority in Turkey.
Source: Palestine News and Information Agency