Palestine records 228 new Covid-19 cases, two deaths

Palestine today recorded 228 new Covid-19 cases, two deaths, and 267 recovery cases in the last 24 hours, according to Health Minister Mai Alkaila.

Among the new 228 cases, 42 cases were recorded in the West Bank, and 186 others in the Gaza Strip.

She added in her daily report on the disease that two people died of the disease in the Gaza Strip and 267 Covid-19 patients recovered; 37 recovery cases in the West Bank and 230 others in the Gaza Strip.

Alkaila said 16 corona patients are receiving treatment in intensive care units, including three who are on ventilators.

She noted that 404,142 people were vaccinated in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip so far, including 245,329 people who received the second dose of the vaccine.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

Amnesty: Israel’s shutdown of West Bank health organization has catastrophic consequences

The Israeli occupation authorities’ decision to shut down the Palestinian Health Work Committees (HWC) will have catastrophic consequences for the health needs of Palestinians across the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), said Amnesty International yesterday.

In the early hours of June 9, Israeli occupation forces raided the HWC headquarters in Ramallah. They broke down the door, confiscated computers and memory drives, and issued a military order forcing the office to close for six months. The organization has come under attack repeatedly, with employees facing harassment and arrest for its alleged affiliation with the Popular Liberation Front for Palestine, a Palestinian political party with an armed wing.

“The Health Work Committees is one of the main providers of health services in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, running hospitals and health clinics providing medical care to marginalized communities. Israel’s shut down of its headquarters will have major consequences for the provision of essential health services to thousands of Palestinians, a program for women’s health that was at the headquarters has now stopped,” said Saleh Higazi, Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International.

“As the occupying power Israel has a clear obligation under international law to protect the rights of all Palestinians – including their right to health. So far they have completely failed to fulfil this responsibility throughout the global pandemic, pursuing a discriminatory Covid-19 vaccination policy. Israeli authorities must immediately rescind the shutdown order and put an end to the harassment of health workers.

“The targeting of HWC is part of a wider attack by Israel against Palestinian civil society organizations. Instead of criminalizing organizations providing vital health services, the Israeli authorities should be ending their institutionalised discrimination and systematic oppression of Palestinians.”

HCW has been at the forefront of the Covid-19 response in the OPT, raising awareness, offering public health guidance, and providing medical care to Covid-19 patients in its health facilities, as well as to hard-to-reach communities through mobile clinics. It also leads local advocacy efforts to improve the Palestinian health system.

This is not the first time that HWC and its staff have been targeted by Israeli forces. Its Jerusalem office was shut down by Israeli authorities in 2015. Its Ramallah office which was shut down today was previously raided in October 2019 – when its finance director was arrested – and in March 2021 when two other members of staff were arrested.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

$1M grant from China to secure coronavirus vaccines, says Minister of Finance

Minister of Finance Shukri Bishara and Guo Wei, Head of the Office of the People’s Republic of China to the State of Palestine, today signed an emergency grant of one million US dollars to purchase vaccines against the COVID-19.

Bishara said during the signing of the agreement, at the headquarters of the Ministry of Finance in the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah, in the presence of the President’s Advisor for Diplomatic Affairs, Majdi Al-Khalidi, that this amount was transferred to the government’s treasury.

He explained that this amount will be added to the backup account that was established since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, especially for the purchase of vaccines from the sources specified by the Ministry of Health, stating that it is expected for this amount to secure about 100,000 additional doses of vaccines for the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Bishara indicated that, through this backup account, Palestine seeks to secure all financial resources to confront the pandemic and to address any financial shortage for this purpose.

For his part, the Chinese ambassador reviewed his country’s role in standing by Palestine in the ceasefire agreement during the recent Israeli aggression on the besieged Gaza Strip.

He praised the Chinese government’s success to send a message to the world that the international community opposes Israel’s attempts and actions that violate international law and international terms of reference.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

UPDATE: Israeli forces attack sit-in staged in Jerusalem to protest forcible expulsion of two Palestinian families

Israeli police attacked today a sit-in held in front of the Israeli Central Court in occupied Jerusalem city in solidarity with two Palestinian families who are threatened with the forcible expulsion from their homes in Silwan’s Batn al-Hawa area for the benefit of settlers.

WAFA correspondent said Israeli forces violently suppressed the sit-in which was held in front of Israel’s central court, where a hearing was held to look into the case of Salem Ghaith and Jawad Abu Nab families, who are one the hundreds of families threatened with the forcible expulsion from their homes from the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhoods of Silwan and Sheikh Jarrah for the benefit of Israeli settlers.

The police detained three protesters who were identified as Basel al-Dweik, Adel al-Silwadi, and Nitham abu Ramooz, after severely beating them up.

The defending human rights organization, Al-Haq, said in a statement: “Despite the fact that East Jerusalem is occupied and illegally annexed and the majority of the population in East Jerusalem are Palestinians and that Israeli settlers reside illegally in occupied East Jerusalem, Israeli zoning laws have allocated 35 per cent of the land area for the construction of illegal settlement by Israeli settlers, and 52 per cent of East Jerusalem has been allocated as “green areas” and “unplanned areas” in which construction is prohibited.”

(Updated with the Israeli court’s postponement of the ruling on the appeals submitted against the forced expulsion of the two families from their homes until August 7th).

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

Occupation forces destroy structures in Jerusalem’s al-Isawiya

Israeli occupation forces today demolished a shed and razed a Palestinian-owned land in the neighborhood of al-Isawiya in occupied East Jerusalem, according to local sources.

Amjad Hasan Mustafa, a local Palestinian citizen, told reporters that he had previously been been notified by the municipality of the illegal Israeli settlement of Beit El about the demolition of the shed, under the pretext of building without Israel’s permission.

Israel rarely grants building permits to Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem and in Israeli-controlled areas in the occupied West Bank, and therefore Palestinians often find themselves with no choice but to embark on construction without getting an Israeli permit.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

UK’s Labor leader urges Boris Johnson to back Palestinian state at G7 talks

UK Labour leader Keir Starmer has urged British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to press for the recognition of a Palestinian state at this weekend’s G7 summit in Cornwall.

During Prime Minister’s Questions today, Starmer used his final question to press Boris Johnson on supporting the establishment of sovereign Palestinian statehood, alongside a “safe and secure Israel”.

The Labour leader also asked Johnson to press for an end to the expansion of the illegal Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

“For too many people in Palestine, the promise of an end to the occupation and a recognised sovereign Palestinian state feels more distant than ever,” said Starmer.

“Will the Prime Minister take the opportunity this weekend to press for renewed international agreement to finally recognise the State of Palestine, alongside a safe and secure Israel, to stop the expansion of illegal settlements and to get a meaningful peace process back up and running?”

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

Footage shows Israeli prison guards assaulting Palestinians in Negev prison

A newly released video footage has shown Israeli prison guards brutally assaulting Palestinian prisoners in the Israeli prison of Negev, reportedly carried out in March 2019.

The footage shows several Israeli guards throwing prisoners, one by one, to the floor, while kicking, punching and beating them with batons.

Israeli daily Haaretz said that Palestinian prisoners’ hands were tied behind their backs, and they were commanded not to move or speak, and left tied on the ground for hours in a yard opposite a row of prisoners’ tents.

At least 10 Israeli prison guards are seen assaulting the Palestinian prisoners, yet only four were investigated by Lahav 433, a security agency that tackles serious crime and corruption.

No confrontations between prisoners and jailers can be seen on the footage, according to the daily, which said that 15 Palestinian prisoners were transfered to Soroka hospital for treatment after the incident, two of which were in serious condition.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

Prime Minister: Israel’s killing of three Palestinians in Jenin is state terrorism

Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said today that the fatal shooting of three Palestinians, including two security officers, by an undercover Israeli military unit in Jenin, north of the occupied West Bank, last night was an act of organized state terror that will have serious consequences.

In a press statement, Shtayyeh said the assassination in Jenin was an attempt by the outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to elicit reactions that would enable him to retain his position in which he has only a few days left.

Shtayyeh urged the international community, international human rights organizations, and the United States to intervene urgently to stop the Israeli assassinations, and to condemn the policy of persecution, racism and ethnic cleansing practiced by the Israeli occupation authorities in the occupied territories.

The Prime Minister offered his condolences to the families of the three martyrs and wished a speedy recovery to the wounded.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

Ministerial delegation to head to Cairo to discuss reconstruction of Gaza

A high-profile cabinet delegation headed by Deputy Prime Minister Ziad Abu-Amr is expected to travel to Cairo within the coming two days to discuss the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip.

The delegation includes Minister of Economy Khaled Osseili, Minister of Public Works and Housing Mohammad Ziara, Minister of Agriculture Riyad Atari, and Minister of Local Government Majdi al-Saleh.

The Palestinian delegation is expected to discuss with Egyptian officials the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip and the coordination mechanisms to draw on lessons from the past experience.

Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency

قوات الاحتلال تعتقل 17 مواطنا فلسطينيا من الضفة

اعتقلت قوات الاحتلال الإسرائيلي، فجر اليوم الأربعاء، 17 مواطنا فلسطينيا، عقب دهم منازلهم وتفتيشها والعبث بمحتوياتها، في مناطق متفرقة بالضفة الغربية والقدس المحتلتين.

ففي طوباس (شمالا)، أعادت قوات الاحتلال اعتقال القيادي في حركة “حماس”، نادر صوافطة، والأسير المحرر أسيد الخراز.

وفي نابلس (شمالا)، اعتقلت قوات الاحتلال الأسير المحرر، أسيد اشتية، من المدينة، وناظم اشتية وثمين حمدان، من بلدة سالم.

كما داهمت قوات كبيرة من جيش الاحتلال، مخيم العروب شمال مدينة الخليل (جنوبا)، واعتقلت الفتى أحمد عماد أبو شرار (13 عاما)، وآدم بنات، بعد تفتيش منازل ذويهما والعبث بمحتوياتها.

وفي رام الله (وسط)، اقتحمت قوات الاحتلال قرية “أم صفا”، وداهمت عددا من المنازل بعد تحطيم أبوابها، واعتقلت كلا من: منصور محمد طناطرة، ومجد ناجح طناطرة، وهو طالب في الثانوية العامة، وبراء أسامة حمد، ومأمون عصام صباح.

كما اعتقل جيش الاحتلال من مدينة رام الله، المواطن عبد الكريم زيادة (60 عاماً)، بعد مداهمة منزله والعبث بمحتوياته في بلدة بيتونيا، وفريد مرة، من المدينة، وإسلام نمر من مخيم الأمعري.

وفي بيت لحم (جنوبا)، اعتقلت قوات الاحتلال الشاب رياض طلال العمور، بعد دهم منزل والده وتفتيشه في بلدة تقوع.

وفي القدس المحتلة، اعتقلت قوات الاحتلال فؤاد الرجبي، ومحمد الرجبي، من حي بطن الهوى في بلدة سلوان جنوب المسجد الأقصى.

Source: Quds Press International News Agency

الاحتلال يُصدر أمر اعتقالٍ إداريّ بحق الشيخ خضر عدنان لمدة شهر

أحالت سلطات الاحتلال الإسرائيلي، اليوم الأربعاء، القيادي في حركة الجهاد الإسلامي، خضر عدنان للاعتقال الإداري (دون محاكمة).

وقال نادي الأسير الفلسطيني (غير حكومي) في بيان صحفي، إن “المخابرات الإسرائيلية، أصدرت أمر اعتقال بحق “عدنان”، إداريا لمدة شهر، تبدأ من تاريخ اعتقاله”.

وأشار إلى أن “عدنان”، مضرب عن الطعام منذ 11 يوما، رفضا لاعتقاله.

واعتقل “عدنان” وهو من بلدة عرّابة بمحافظة جنين (شمال)، يوم 30 أيار/مايو الماضي على حاجز عسكري، شمالي الضفة الغربية.

وسبق لـ”عدنان” أن خاض إضرابا عن الطعام داخل السجون الإسرائيلية، استمر 66 يوما عام 2012، وتمكّن من انتزاع قرار من محكمة إسرائيلية بالإفراج عنه.

كما خاض عدنان إضرابين عن الطعام عام 2015 لمدة 52 يوما، وعام 2018 لمدة 59 يوما، احتجاجا على اعتقاله الإداري.

وتعتقل “إسرائيل” نحو 4400 فلسطيني، بينهم 39 سيدة، ونحو 155 طفلا، و 500 معتقل إداري، حسب مؤسسات معنية بشؤون الأسرى.

Source: Quds Press International News Agency

نحو 138 مستوطنا يدنسون “الأقصى” خلال اقتحامين منفصلين

اقتحم مستوطنون، اليوم الأربعاء، ساحات المسجد الأقصى المبارك، بحماية شرطة الاحتلال الإسرائيلي.

وأوضحت دائرة الأوقاف الإسلامية بالقدس المحتلة، بأن 78 مستوطنا و60 طالبا يهوديا، اقتحموا باحات المسجد الأقصى، ونفذوا جولات استفزازية.

وبينت أن المستوطنين، اقتحموا باحات المسجد من جهة باب المغاربة، على شكل مجموعات، وتلقوا شروحات عن “الهيكل” المزعوم.

ودنس المقتحمون المسجد الأقصى، على دفعتين إحداها صباحية، والأخرى ظهر اليوم.

وأغلقت سلطات الاحتلال، باب المغاربة بعد اقتحام 33 متطرفا، خلال الفترة المسائية.

وفي شأن ذي صلة، قررت حكومة الاحتلال المصغرة للشؤون الأمنية والسياسية “كابينت”، الليلة الماضية، تأجيل “مسيرة الأعلام” الاستفزازية في مدينة القدس المحتلة، حتى يوم الثلاثاء المقبل، وذلك بعد يومين من تنصيب حكومة التغيير الجديدة.

وحذّر قادة الأجهزة الأمنية لدى الاحتلال، من أن مرور المسيرة من الحي الإسلامي وساحة باب العامود سيؤدي إلى تصعيد فوري في مدينة القدس المحتلة، وفي البلدات والمدن العربية في مناطق الـ48 وفي الضفة الغربية المحتلة.

وتُعرف المسيرة باسم مسيرة الأعلام احتفالا بإعلان الاحتلال الإسرائيلي، القدس عاصمة موحدة لها إثر احتلالها وضمها عام 1967، ويشارك فيها الآلاف وتصل إلى القدس المحتلة وتمر بمحاذاة وداخل أسوار المدينة القديمة وبالسوق الرئيسي وفي الحي الإسلامي داخلها.

واتسعت الاحتجاجات اليومية التي شهدها حي الشيخ جراح منذ نحو شهرين على خلفية التهديد بطرد عائلات فلسطينية من منازلها إلى أنحاء متفرقة من القدس، وخاصة في المسجد الأقصى خلال شهر رمضان.

وأدت القضية إلى تصعيد دامٍ مع قطاع غزة استمر 11 يوما وأدى إلى استشهاد 260 فلسطينيا بينهم 66 طفلا وإلى دمار هائل في القطاع المحاصر.

Source: Quds Press International News Agency